from Mark to Marcos

from Mark to Marcos

Monday, February 25, 2013

Five LOCO Reasons Why I Want to be In Guate

I have recently been spending my time filling out applications and sending my resume thousands of miles away, trying to acquire a position with an organization in Guatemala. 

There are so many reasons why I want to be in Guatemala after graduation and here are some of the craziest and most random:

I want to go to Taco Bell with Dany. Dany is my Guatemalan nephew. I found out that he has recently been asking his mom if we are going to be eating Taco Bell anytime soon (apparently there are some new meal specials there that we have to try). Each time a plane flies bye, he also asks if I am in it. 
*Oh, how I wish I was on one of those planes. 

Debora and I need to go get Te Chai de Vanilla at McCafe. Debora is my Guatemalan Sister (& Dany's mom). Long story short, we are both obsessed with Vanilla Chai (with the occasional shot of espresso). Weekly trips to McCafe are a must when we're together. 
*Guatemalan McDonalds are 5 billion times classier than any McDonalds that I have been to in the US.

I want to make fun of Darwin. Darwin is one of my many Guatemalan brothers, however he is the one that is closest to my age. Our friendship is built on the un-common principle that unkind words are actually quite nice and the more you can offend the other, the more you care about them. Okay, that is only half true. However, we often will call each other "hermana" (vs. "hermano") and use feminine descriptive words (ex. linda & fea vs. lindo & feo). So, I guess I don't want to make fun of him. I just miss my hermana fea! 
*In Spanish, adjectives ending in "-a" are feminine and "-o" are masculine. 

I want to meet more people from Arkansas. Seriously, every time that I am in Guatemala, I meet so many people from Arkansas. Usually, they are awesome people too. So yeah, I want to meet more awesome Arkansas-ians.
*Mama Carmen is pretty much an international superstar in Arkansas.

I want to walk to the little barbershop and pay less than $2.00 to get my haircut. This is actually a lie. However, whenever I think about getting my haircut there, I laugh hysterically. I laugh because last time I got my $1.75 haircut, they chopped of my sideburns! Fortunately, I had 2 weeks between that haircut and the start of school; I grew those sideburns back as fast as possible. 
*When this happened, I felt like the poor little girl that gets her pigtail scissored off in the Sour Patch Kid commercial.

I could write 1,000 more crazy, random reasons (along with 1,000,000 serious reasons) why I want to be in Guatemala, but I will leave you with those five for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment