from Mark to Marcos

from Mark to Marcos

Monday, August 13, 2012

"This Is My Happy Story."

My summer in Guatemala is about to come to an end; I have one week left and it already hurts. Saying goodbye to this family will be one of the hardest things I have done in awhile. I have been able to share life with these people, to hear their stories, and to see God working in their lives.

Two nights ago, I decided to help David wash the dishes. David is one of the boys living at Hogar Mama Carmen. If you know me, you know that I like to talk. I asked David to tell me a story, this is what he shared:

"They would fight and I would leave. I didn't like being there when they fought, so I took a bus far away. I liked to visit a lake and sometimes I would be alone for 4 days, sleeping outside. I was 5 years old when I started living like this. I did this for 2 years until the night that the police found me."

Through this story, David shared hurt and sadness that he had experienced.  After talking a little more with David about this story I asked him if he wanted to share a 'happier' story. This is what he shared:

 "This is my happy story. Now. Living here, with my new family."

David is a boy full of joy and love. David is one of my younger brothers in my "new family" and he is one of the many reasons that leaving here is going to be so hard.

Daily, I will pray for David and the rest of this family that God has given me. Please join me in doing the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment